Embarking on a journey along the Tamara Coast to Coast Way is like stepping into a dream where nature unfolds its beauty at every turn. This route offers flashes of coastal charm (at either end!) and between is a unique blend of river life and rural tranquillity.
From the South coast at Plymouth to the North coast at Morwenstow, the route hops from Devon to Cornwall and back again several times. The Tamara Coast to Coast Way weaves through a mesmerizing tapestry of diverse terrains, from sandy shores to lush woodlands, providing a delightful adventure for nature enthusiasts and avid hikers alike. The journey begins on the rugged coastline, where the salty breeze invigorates the senses and the sound of waves creates a symphony of tranquillity. As you venture further, the path meanders through rolling hills and verdant meadows, each step revealing a new facet of the region’s natural beauty.
The Tamara Coast to Coast Way Stage 2K (Kernow/Cornish option) goes from Tamar Bridge to St. Mellion right past Lower Marsh Farm in Landulph.
If you are walking from the South to the North on the Tamara Coast to Coast Way, you can rest overnight here – either just for Stage 2K – or enjoy a longer stay for Stage 1, Stage 2K and Stage 3K. We can arrange for your luggage to be moved to your next accommodation location (at additional cost). If you are staying for multiple nights and need to get to your next starting point for the path, then please ask us for assistance with organising transport.
Having walked several of the fantastic long distance paths around the UK, we know how much time is involved in planning your accommodation and logistics! So to help get you going, we recommend planning your initial few days as follows:
- Travel to Plymouth – the train service is generally good and on a direct line from London Paddington. From Plymouth Train Station, walk or get a taxi to Royal William Yard (approximately 1.8 miles journey) and staying in this collection of Grade I listed buildings in what was once a Royal Navy victualling yard. Here there is a selection of restaurants and wine bars to enjoy plus plenty of places to stay.
- In the morning, (after putting your luggage in the pre-booked taxi to be delivered here which we can help arrange) take the ferry to Cremyll which provides spectacular views of Mount Edgcumbe, Royal William Yard and Plymouth Sound. Set off on your first day of the path, completing Stage 1 (12.5 miles / 5.5 hours) and the first 6 miles (around 2.5 hours) of Stage 2K before arriving here at Lower Marsh Farm. For supper, we can provide ‘ready to heat’ meals which you can enjoy after taking a long and luxurious hot shower.
- Rise to a breakfast hamper, before setting off to complete Stage 2K (6.1 miles / 3.5 hours) and Stage 3K (6.1 miles / 3 hours). Taking with you a packed lunch. We will then transfer your luggage to your next stop in Calstock. We whole-heartedly recommend our friends at Harewood Farm ‘The Chapel’ or stay at Lily’s (and book a well deserved massage for arrival!) for the night. There are other options – here are some suggestions. For your evening meal, there is a lovely pub in Calstock, The Tamar Inn.
Lower Marsh Farm offers accommodation for 1 night stays in these cosy yurt wooden cabins with properly comfortable beds (either a super king sized, double or twin singles).
- Enjoy a well deserved cup of tea or coffee with a slice of cake in the field kitchen.
- Take a long hot shower to ease any aches.
- Wash and dry any laundry, dry out any wet boots / coats / backpacks in the Boot Room.
- Pre-book your ‘ready to heat’ supper, breakfast and packed lunch so you can just rest without worrying about having to go anywhere for food.
- Cosy up in your yurt in front of the log burner or sit out around the fire pit looking out across the Tamar Valley toasting marshmallows and celebrating completing your first day on the Tamara Coast to Coast Way.
- Amble to the river, past Landulph Church and Salt Marsh Nature Reserve for a fine view of the Tamar Bridge at the likely embarkation point for pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela (this is about 10 minutes gentle flat walk each way). See page 62 – 63 of the The Tamara Coast to Coast Way guidebook.
As you continue along the Tamara Coast to Coast Way, Lower Marsh Farm will remain a cherished memory and we hope to see you again.