Lower Marsh Farm has its own private shingle beach which is only available to guests staying with us. You can walk along the river frontage (except when the tide is fully in) and further around towards Cargreen. Perfect walking for dogs, and a great adventure for children with plenty of treasures to find (look for crabs under rocks, collect a selection of shells, find sea glass and go for a paddle). Enjoy some quiet time watching the waves, birds and occasional boat passing by.
Of course, both Devon and Cornwall are equally blessed with some of the most fantastic beaches in England. The South Coast is within easy reach, a few examples of those closest to us are:
- Seaton & Downderry Beach with great facilities (country park, children’s play area, cafe, restaurant and pubs). A locals’ favourite and only 30 minutes away! Dog friendly all year.
- Portwrinkle (with Hoodny Cove and Finnygook Beach so worth a visit just for the name) with lots of rockpools and places to eat. Great for young families, these are 30 minutes away. Dog friendly except between Easter day to 1st October.
- Whitsand Bay is famous for its surfing and consists of 3 miles of lovely sandy beach. Be aware that it’s a fair walk down steep paths to reach it. This is a 30 minute drive from the Farm. Dog friendly all year.
- Tregantle Beach is at the westerly end of Whitsand Bay and dominated by Tregantle Fort. Part is an MOD Training area. A good surf beach.
- Freathy Beach is a 40 minute drive away. Popular with locals and part of Whitsand Bay. Dog friendly except between Easter day to 1st October. A good steep walk down which is a deterrent from this beach being as busy as some others.
- Barn Pool Beach on Mount Edgcumbe Country Park is best reached by ferry from Plymouth. Worth visiting if you also take in Mount Edgcumbe.
- Looe is a pretty seaside town with a beach which is good for families with lots of sand and shallow water plus great facilities (shopping, restaurants, pubs, toilets, excursions) so does get very busy in summer. This is 40 minutes from us.
- Hannafore Point (round to West Looe) is another good easily accessible beach with facilities. It is mainly rocky so has lots of rock pools at low tide. It is also easily accessible and a 40 minute drive away. Dog friendly all year.
- Cawsand & Kingsand Beach which are next door to each other and approximately a 50 minute drive away overlook Plymouth Sound (great views of ships), with good facilities and lots of pubs around as it is in a village. Kingsand is dog friendly all year with Cawsand not allowing dogs from Easter day to 1st October.
- Talland Bay Beach is just past Looe and is a lovely small beach but a popular one (get there early!) in a small rocky bay. It has a beach cafe and a few minutes away is Talland Bay Hotel for a glamorous lunch. Dog friendly all year.
On the North Coast, the best options are in Bude (an hour away) and Padstow (an hour and a quarter). Near Bude (voted the 7th Best Beach Destination 2012 in the UK by millions of TripAdvisor users) there is a wide selection of fantastic beaches. Padstow also has a fine selection of beaches nearby plus of course it’s infamous restaurants and shopping.
Beach / forest school (for preschool ages)
Offered by Steph Hobbs, a fully trained forest school teacher (and an amazingly fab nanny to our boys). The sessions can be customised to your needs and the children’s ages. Contact us for booking information.
Looking for some surfing? Click here for the best surfing beaches in Cornwall.